Monday, March 5, 2012

Make your day count!



Got 8 minutes? Good :)  Not a morning person? Join the club!  I have, however, began doing a "burst out of bed" routine that really helps me to keep my day under control.  Working out in the morning has been found to make people more productive during the day, as well as more conscious of eating decisions throughout the day.  Makes sense right?  If you wake up early to hit the gym, you're going to think twice about that Italian grinder at the lunch cart.  However, I am not one of those people that can just spring out of bed and into action.  I hit the snooze until the last possible nano-second of needing to be in the shower so I am not late to class.  This is different.  

TIP 1: Set your alarm 10 minutes later.  You're not fooling anyone hitting the snooze, and that last 9 minutes doesn't help, I promise.  TIP 2: Go to bed 10 minutes sooner... seeing a trend?  TIP 3: Have a water bottle, clothes, and a pair of sneakers ready.  This "quick routine" doesn't work if you are half asleep looking for another sock.  Wake up, get dressed, and be ready!

I'm sad to say, but this routine was SO difficult at first, I hadn't done a push-up in far too long.  It got easier though.  And this routine can be modified to anyone's ability level.  When I began doing it, I was doing less mountain climbers and only 2 cycles.  Now I am up to max reps and 3 full cycles.  Someone recently suggested that I add burpees... that's a lesson for a whole different day!

Disclaimer:: I am not suggesting that this replace all other forms of exercise.  I still run and do other aerobics classes, but I wanted something to add to my workouts that would incorporate total body strength on a daily basis.  This routine is actually great as a warm-up cycle before doing any kind of exercise.  Before going for a run, or using free weights, or taking an aerobics class.

Try it out, change it up, make up your own! Whatever works for you.  Good luck, and as always, happy running :) xo

3 comments:

  1. I have a question about the bicycles, mountain climbers and planks... do they require you to have an actual stationary bike workout machine, or are these exercises you do equipment free? Where can I learn how you do these? Any info would be helpful, thanks!
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Thanks for your interest. These exercises are all meant to do without any equipment. A mountain climber is when you are in the push-up position, and you bring one knee up to your chest, then jump, alternating feet. The faster you do it, the better, but be careful, it can be hard on your knees. So start out slow until you have a steady flow going, jumping back and forth between feet. A bicycle is when on your back in a crunch position with your hands locked behind your head. You bring one elbow across your chest and bring up the opposite knee to meet it. You alternate back and forth, and each complete set (one left leg, one right leg) is counted as one rep. And a plank is similar to a push up, only you are resting on your forearms. Keep your body straight and flex your abs to keep your core in line. It is best to do this in front of a mirror if possible to be sure that you do not sag, or lift your bum up in the air. You want to be flat like a plank. I hope I explained these well enough, if not please let me know. Also, try YouTube for clips on instructions! Good luck :)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! found this on pinterest and just tried it out. in love! it took 25 minutes, but i feel like i got a good workout. perfect for days when i don't feel like i have the time. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete